Saturday, December 12, 2009

Odds and Ends: Sufganiyot, sexism and more

Last week I had to explain why I wrote a terrible article on the previous Thursday. Here is what my answer wasn’t:

“Big N had just gotten back from reserves. I was pounding away at my keyboard as if I were Vladimir Ashkenazi. Big N was with Little N. Then came the curses, and then the call from Big N: ‘I need you to come here NOW. This one is exceptional!’ It was ugly. A bath was necessary. In short, my boss, the reason that I couldn’t focus on the article is that I was rushing to meet deadline while dealing with…poop. Lots of it.”

In my original dream-answer-sequence, I went into juicy detail as to the nature of said poop. But since I don’t have so many readers yet, and I would like to some day, I will quash that desire.

Instead, I simply apologized.

Second announcement: as I am married in to a family that seems to have a genetic terror of blood, I may have volunteered myself to be a birthing partner to a relative-in-law. Since blood doesn’t bother me. Or birthing. I hope.

Third announcement: I wanted to write something about a promo that I saw on television involving female MKs modeling clothing, but then could not find the actual context anywhere in the Internet. If anyone has found it, and would like to point me in the right direction, thank you. If you haven’t found it, and, like me, would like to speculatively trash whoever thought of such an idea, go ahead.

But fortunately, as a result of a blog-cooling-off break that I took between part 1 and part 2 of this blog, I now have a direction to advance with this.

There are about two female reporters in my specific line of work. There are a dozen male ones. And I have noticed that my (female) colleague and I have a special status. Anyone (male) we are seen speaking with in the corridors of power is immediately considered by our (male) colleagues as a potential fling. Of ours.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, people! As a reporter, I tend to look for sources. So do my male counterparts. The pursuit of sources may be a type of romancing, in the most poetic sort of analogy, but honestly, give it a break. And, to be fair, the only reporter currently known to be enjoying such a relationship is – sorry to burst the bubble – male.

I am sure that this is some type of sexism, but I don’t know which stereotype it seeks to vindicate. That young women in the workplace are necessarily having work-related relationships? Or is it giving voice to the gossipers’ fantasies regarding the young women in their workplace?

Fourth and final subject: Happy Hannukah to those for whom it is relevant. I haven’t eaten any latkes yet, but here’s the list of sufganiya (its like a donut, folks) flavors I’ve consumed (but mostly shared) so far:

  1. Plain, with powdered sugar
  2. chocolate and pannecotta filling, glazed with milk chocolate and topped with chocolate “pearls”
  3. whipped-cream filling with Belgian chocolate glaze
  4. chocolate and pop-rocks filling (weird but fun) with chocolate glaze and colored jimmies
  5. white chocolate and pistachio ganache filling with semi-sweet dark chocolate glaze and ground pistachio topping
  6. chocolate, banana and coconut liqueur filling with dark chocolate glaze, topped with banana chips and toasted coconut
  7. melon vodka and white chocolate ganache filling with white chocolate glaze and a dark chocolate drizzle
  8. halva and white chocolate ganache filling with a white chocolate glaze, dark chocolate drizzle and crumbled candied pecans

Happy holidays, whichever ones you choose to ingest!

3 comments:

  1. You just listed all the Sufganiyot that Roladin offer this season...
    I am proud to say that I had one bite of a regular one, and two baked (not deep fried) Sufganiyot. Not as yummy, but not as ...
    I still owe myself a real sufganiyah before they disappear at the end of Hanuka...
    and I must comment on the other weird sh*t you go through, but that would be an entire blog post in itself...
    I love reading you!
    Yonit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yonit - thank you! I love having people love reading me! (but you should write about the other stuff too - it might be prosaic, but its really important).

    Yana - exactly. it is a boy. or will be.

    ReplyDelete